Thursday, January 31, 2008

Ranting 1

The letter of appointment is not having the effect it was supposed to. Despite the salary jump (well, to be honest, it wasn't much - it isn't the time yet). Nothing great really, just a natural transition, I guess.

I have been anticipating, visualizing this move for the past year. My entire energy was focused on this very role - because I know I can do it better (I don't care if this sounds perasan - damnit, I know I can). What happenned to good intentions? Asking for something where one knows one can make a difference in?

The blundering oldie who sits in the very position I want fell asleep during the workshop. This just infuriates me all the more. Seriously, and he's doing a wonderful job "managing assurance"? (Quoted) Whatever in the deepest hole in hell that is. Or perhaps I'm just too working-level (aka bodoh) to understand.

And why, why on the face of the earth are we afraid of working on the ground, of getting our hands dirty? Since when did hard work and actually knowing what you're doing , and doing what you're saying become faux pas? Has my 2 years offshore really coarsened me that much??

I truly believe, from the bottom of my heart, that I can make a difference. Because I have been there. Done that. Recently. And really, it doesn't really take a genius to figure that - the guy was snoring at the meeting. Breathe. Breathe.

Wake up, people!!!! We're living in a competitive world, and yesterday's (or today's?) ways ain't gonna cut it anymore. Why aren't we encouraging our people to really know and understand what we're doing, instead of (inject tight, pointed sarcasm here) of "managing" (I really hate this word now)? Why go to the very ends of the earth and pay people 5 digit salaries for talking their way to the top? What happenned to putting your money where your mouth is? To actions speak louder than words? To walking the walk?

What happened to building one's foundation, to focusing on the core of the business, on what brings in the moolah? Now we're spending time and $$ on coming up with complicated processes and slideshows. Who's actually working?

Doesn't anyone do that anymore?

Oh, and did I mention that I am pissed off? It has taken my mood off the nice stay in KL here (Am at the Grand Milennium, so much better than Mariott, btw).

Some re-negotitation is in order, I guess. But am currently running away from confrontation (and reality) for the time being, jetting down for this meeting (and getting even more pissed off) and will be going home on Saturday for CNY. Hope this is not a sign of things to come.

And am trying so hard to repeat the mantra - Happiness is a Choice. Thus I am in control of my mood, and not vice versa. Happiness is a Choice. Happiness is a Choice.

Oh well, no one said it was easy.




Totally unrelated obligatory photo.

Our co. staff union dinner - Citrawarna Malaysia

No comments: