Thursday, January 10, 2008

Its' a Never Ending Process.....

So this week was the first week back to work onshore-based. First in 2 years. Some we've learnt:

1) I need more clothes! Despite quite a few heavy duty shopping sprees in KL, I still don't have enough officewear. Well, not the ones that don't require ironing, anyway (I truly hate doing laundry, with a vengeance). Next KL trip - more knits and polyesters (but not the cheapo pasar malam type of course, am a true earning working gal now), please. And no more shopping at FOS or Reject Shop either. I have learnt that when it comes to clothes, one does get what one pays for. And brands do count here. Snobby eh?

Debbs Wallet: Haven't I bled enough already (remember Christmas? Ex-Classmate's wedding? The Samsonite luggage? The gorgeous black trenchcoat that you just had to have???)

2) I do NOT have enough tact. :( This is sad. Just 1 week and I might have accidentally offended two persons - at least! Repeat to self: MUST THINK BEFORE OPENING MOUTH. MUST THINK BEFORE OPENING MOUTH!!

3) I can't find my way around the folks twisting and turning the issues. We at this corporate goliath are such experts at juggling analogies with jargon and sometimes, expletives. Bet everyone here got either A's or F's for essay writing in school - A for excellent use of adjectives and analogies! F for I can't f%$@! understand what you're saying. Ironically, the people who are "identified" prodigies are the ones who are best at this. Who's gonna understand a thing the future bosses are saying next time?? What happenned to good old fashioned DIRECT speech??? Give me a yell/scowl anytime. At least I'd understand it. Now you could be taking the crap out of me and I would probably think it's a compliment. Damn!

4) Have to remember that I'm dealing with peers, aka competitors in many, many ways. I'm pretty used to people being nice to me (hey, I was the only lady most of the time, and the boss no less - oh yes I'm flaunting it!). Today I am back to just a minnow in a sea of ruthless sharks, spineless squids and quite a couple of anemic snails - these are the folks manage to get away with doing very little and are always found in the cafeteria or nearby coffeeshops having tea. Usually the older folks who have done their years in the company. Well, I suppose they were working at one point in time...20 years ago, perhaps?

5) It is absolutely necessary to get enough sleep at night. Back offshore I could always take a walk around the plant if I felt sleepy. Here in the office or in meetings, there are really few or no options. And taking too many toilet breaks just looks plain dodgy.

Well, a congratulations is in order I guess for surviving the first week in the office. On the bright side, since losing a teeeeeeeeny bit of weight, I feel a lot better about myself and actually have some fun dressing up in the morning (shhh.....). And there are the technical discussions and verbal volleyball sessions that I really do enjoy (yes you read right - enjoy). Thanks to offshore, I actually know what I'm talking about!

On a completely different note, I am fighting a losing battle to keep our larger-than-necessary house clean and tidy. Laundry piles have been amassed in AK's room (on his spare bed) and the ants have returned 3 months after the last spray man's visit.

Oh and am back onshore. Had a nice time too...sleeping, (web) surfing and eating out.

Tomorrow we work another day, then comes the weekend!

No comments: