Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Bario and Back Into Reality


We're back from a weekend in the heart of the Kelabit highlands, Bario. The air was cool and we walked and walked and walked through muddy paths and through valleys. We ate monkey, wild boar and deer, with soft, fragrant Bario rice and washed it all down with the juiciest pineapples you could ever find, what else but the Bario pineapple?

Sometimes I wish that my life could be so simple - that the outcome of my day could depend on whether I cought my game for the day or not. Am getting lost again in this sea of corporate confusion.

I cannot believe that I am so worked up because I have nothing to do. I have been "moved" 4 times around teams, and now have turned full circle back to the original team I wanted to join. Am being offered a position that looks and sounds great, and the bosses want it, but no one wants to create that position so I can fill that role. Isn't that ironic?

If and when I'm boss, I'll make sure I never leave my subordinate(s) in the dark like this. Now everytime boss calls me into his office, I get the chills and my heart beats so hard because I'm so scared he's going to pull the rug under me again and kill/elate me. Yes, I'm emotional about work. Especially when I have none to do.

So many announcements. But nothing is done, nothing is confirmed. Sigh.

I miss the decisiveness of the yesteryears




Kelabit women collecting "veggies of the forest"




The stove they use to cook our meals with - firewood and all
Our first meal - Bario rice, fresh veggies flown in from the Miri :) and wild boar curry

Smoked monkey dish - it tastes as good as it looks :)


No comments: