Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Back to Square One

I used to be in charge of a multimillion dollar gas platform 120 km out into the South China Sea.

I used to to be in charge of 40, up to a few hundred men at a time.

I used to give instructions to men a few times my size.

I used to make purchases in the sums of millions.

I used to get 30+ calls a day.

I used to survive 20-hour days on my feet, on a potent mixture of caffeine and adrenaline.

I used to be amazed at how quickly 2 weeks could pass us by, and then it was time for a holiday again.

I used to feel useful and needed.

I used to feel like I really belonged.

Now I'm back to reading manuals and documentation that put me to sleep, and floundering again.

Now, if I sleep later than midnight, I can't concentrate on my day, cos I don't know what I;m doing, really.

Now, I feel like I've just joined this place, all over again. Back to square one, I am.


Photos taken by my way more talented brother using a cheaper Nikon we bought 4 years ago.








Guess where they went?

No comments: