Sunday, February 26, 2012

White bean and spinach soup





My dears, I guess you could say that I have been settling into a routine. At least, food-wise.This weekend was spent in very similar fashion to last week's. Cleaning, laundry and cooking what will be my meals over the next few days.This week it's a super-healthy soup. Super-easy it was too - brown a few cubes of ham in a few glugs of olive oil, after which soften some onions over low heat. Make sure the onions cooks down and turn slightly golden, for maximum flavour. Grate a clove of garlic in, and a few shakes of dried oregano and pepper. Hold the salt for now. Add a can of beans, drained. Cover with water. Add a few tablespoons of shaved parmesan and a few drops of chicken stock concentrate. Taste for seasoning and adjust. Bring to a boil, the turn down the heat and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes.


Oh, and it's better to do all of the above the day or the night before you want to eat. This tasted so much better after spending the night in the fridge. Stir in as much spinach as you want in the last minute of reheating the soup. I like lots.


The picture above. I don't know what set him off - the smell of garlic, the additional strips of chicken I pan-fried (because I gotta have my meat), but Boo Boo was super curious about the soup. He usually doesn't bother about my food, or turns away after the first sniff of instant noodles/pasta/apples. But with the stew he kept hovering around and sniffing at the plate while I tried to get a photo. I finally had no choice but to shove him off the table. I guess he knows a good thing when he sees it.






No comments: