Thursday, February 23, 2012

Gingery Watermelon Slushie

There are times that call for hot chocolate, there are times that call for watermelon slushies. Sometimes both on the same day, what with the scorching afternoons followed by heavy midnight downpours that feel as if the heavens themselves are heaving on us we've been seeing. That, and a bit air-conditioned induced cosiness of course.

Today was watermelon day.

This came about originally from my overwhelming urge to eat healthier last week. I rose early on Saturday morning, grim and determined to avoid the weekend crowds at the local super. After coffee and pepper biscuits (vowing that tomorrow's breakfast would be different), I set off. From the super I lugged back bagfuls of lurid purple dragon fruit (antioxidants!!) and half a watermelon, arms burning all the way.

Of course when I got home I realised that I would never be able to finish everything before they started deteriorating. Now who else would I turn to in times like these other than the Domestic Goddess herself? Inspired by how she concocted watermelon dacquiris on her "trashy"episode of Nigella Bites, I followed suit and cubed, bagged and froze my watermelon. Genius.

Today was the day I decided to use them. So simple its embarassing really - I just whizzed the frozen pink chunks with a bit of water to loosen it all up, voila. To counter any acidity or "wind" that such a beverage might induce, I wisely added a spoonful of instant ginger tea I brought back from my last trip to BKK, which also served as a sweetener and added a real nice kick to a supercool drink.

No comments: