Sunday, February 12, 2012

Peanut butter-Chocolate chip blondies





I'll admit, since I am in Miri alone now, it's been pretty difficult to feel inspired enough to pull out the mixing bowl and bake.


Even the inspiration to bake has come out of a trip to KL. You see, Candylicous, the awesome candy store that I first fell in love with during a trip to Universal Studios Singapore, has set up shop(s) in KL. I am not alone in my love for this cheery happy place - my brother actually texted me excitedly when he stumbled upon a branch in 1 Utama. I visited the KLCC outlet, and came out a bit disappointed - the selection available paled in comparison to the Singapore one, I think mainly because once you take out the liquor-based ones the remaining chocolates just look really plain and common. Yet another Malaysian disappointment and yet another loss to our southron neighbour. And yes, I take my candy and chocolate very seriously.



I did, however rekindle my love for the salty-sweet Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, my ultimate treat that I once made AK lug back by the kilo from duty-free Labuan. I was about to take my one-pound bag to the cashier's when I realised that for the same price, I could make more than ten batches of homemade peanut butter and five batches of Peanut Butter Cups. Plus there was the risk of everything melting on me on the way back. Plus I had been wanting to make my own PB anyway as part of the list of things to do in Miri while I still have the time. So I wisely put down the bag and opted for a small pack of Junior Mints instead.


When I got back I did make the peanut butter. And it was every bit as delicious as I expected it to be. But instead of proceeding with Peanut Butter Cups, in usual fashion I start surfing the web and poring through my books and getting plenty distracted. I chose instead to make these awesome Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Blondies instead. So easy, so rich and gooey and stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth good, they turned out to be just what I was craving for. Inspired by this recipe I found online, I halved it, lessened the butter and upped the PB.


Homemade Peanut Butter


1 cup roasted peanuts in their skins. I get them raw and roast them myself, in a 160 deg C oven for about 15 - 20 minutes or until their skins are a nice dark brown. Pop one in your mouth to check for crunchiness and that nice, toasty flavour.



- Whiz the peanuts in the processor until the mixture turns into a paste. I added 1 tbsp of store bought PB just to help everything along. And to really bring out the flavours, I also added about 1.5 tsps of honey and a pinch of sea salt. Of course, use sugar if you want. Taste. Adjust.



For the blondies:

4 tbsp butter
1/2 cup natural cane sugar
3/4 cup peanut butter, from above
1 egg
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder.
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used semisweet as that was what I had, I suspect milk would be better).

Melt the butter and sugar over a low fire, stir until incorporated. Cool for 5 minutes. Stir in peanut butter. Then incorporate the egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Stir this slowly into the wet mixture. Stir in the chips.

Bake at 160 deg C for about 40 minutes (I used a 5 x 8" pan), or until a tested inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean.

This is not something you want around you when you're detoxing, or trying to eat lighter or it goes without saying, attempting a diet. This is for lonely hearts, for stomachs craving comfort and warmth. After a week of beehoon soup, fresh fruit and mostly eggs for protein, man was I ready for this. Oh, and those Junior Mints didn't stand a chance.

No comments: