Friday, July 15, 2011

Lovin'

Well, times seem just a liiiiiiiitle bit rough right now. We're not starving, we still have our jobs, and our families are as hale and hearty as ever. How do I put this in words? (and I know it does sound ungrateful) - the thing is, we aren't moving. Not progressing. We expected a bit more happenning in our lives right now. But somehow they have yet to pan out.
So here are a few things I am looking at, to remind myself that there is still plenty to laugh about, to hope and indeed, live for.
1) Antique (or at least, antique-looking) Chinese furniture
I've always had a thing for Chinese-inspired furniture, and seeing this post in this always awe-inspiring blog just did it for me. While I do lean towards the modern tropical theme in my future house, I see no reason why something like this can't blend into the theme. The piece above is from (where else) chinese-antiquefurniture.com.



2) Ch'ng Kiah Kiean's artwork

It's no secret that I love the little island where I was born, and would like to surround myself with beautiful things that remind me of it. I have some cheap, but beautiful watercolour art of old shophouses and the Khoo Kongsi, and I have fallen in love with these gorgeous sketches of Penang by this architecht-turned-artist. Some are actually watercolours, most are Chinese ink on paper. I hope to be a proud owner of one his pieces someday (soon). Turns out his office (or gallery?) is near my parents' place. Why did I not know this before? I already own a copy of his book, Sketches of Pulo Pinang, and will be placing orders for his Streets of Georgetown and Buildings of Georgetown postcards, and his other book, Line-Line journey. Check out his blog for more of his gorgeous works, and buy his stuff here.




3) More stuff from Anthropologie!
How many times have I wished that we have Anthro stores here in Malaysia??? More stuff to love, and I am seriously contemplating getting out the plastic and just pay that crazy HopShopGo shipping fees for its stuff. Society Taper crystal candleholder for only eighteen USD! And they look gorgeous. I can't find any that cost less than two hundred ringgit for ONE crystal candlestand. And this Pure & Good hand duo which come in artisanal scalloped glass vessels in a wire basket. I'm a sucker for pretty packaging and like I said, holding back on keying in my credit card number into the store site has been an enormous exercise on my part.
Inspiring stuff to brighten up a rather dull life, for now.

No comments: