Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Penang Weekend







Shots of the wonderful Sire Museum Restaurant. AK and I had flown to Penang for my cousin's wedding. Besides the usual Hawker Pilgrimage that we make - Char Koay Teow at Kimberley Street, Indian mee at Bangkok Lane, charcoal-toasted bread and amazing local coffee at Campbell Street, we also took the opportunity (since my brothers were around as well - that rare occasion when it's akk five of us and AK) to celebrate a belated Mother's Day (and future Father's Day too) at The Sire. I've been wanting to take my family there since 2009, when I first visited the place, courtesy of a lunch invite from an old friend. You can read all about the rich history of this absolutely breathtaking place here and here. I just love the wall garden, the high white ceilings with their exposed beams, the courtyard pool, the Peranakan furnishings and the abundance of natural light, thanks to high windows and a skylight.












Then we celebrated a cousin's wedding at another wondrously beautiful venue. Casuarina trees, whitewashed colonial architechture (think shutter windows, hardwood floors, 70's style mosaic flooring). I'm so happy that Penang can boast of such gorgeous yet unpretentious places. The wedding dinner itself was one of the most fun I've been to in a loong time - everyone was dancing despite the tropical heat (it was an outdoor tent) till midnight and beyond!

Below, some attempts at capturing the beauty of our surroundings that evening.
























Notice how much nicer these photos look than my usual junk? That's because my brother took them :) Credit to him, he tried his best to teach me the technicalities of aperture sizes and what not, but 99% of the time my sorry attempts cannot even better the Auto function. Sad, I know.

We did have a wonderful time, and I can't wait for our next trip back.

No comments: