Thursday, June 11, 2009

Gastronomic Roller Coaster, Leonberg-Stuttgart

Here's a list of the things I ate in Germany:

1) Soft cheese with a sweet pickle and rocket leaves on chewy, crusty bread
2) Breadcrumbed fish fillet deep fried in rancid-smelling oil

3) Pretzel-like bread sprinkled with salt flakes - every day I sneak one twist up from the breakfast buffet - love it. Germans supposedly like it spread thickly with unsalted butter, but I like it plain

3) Chinese buffet - stir fried prawns and clams and - kangaroo! The kangaroo I have to say was great - tender and flavourful, reminded me of a mild-tasting, leaner wagyu somehow (or I have been deprived for a long time of hand-massaged, beer-fed, classical-music listening cow meat)

4) Poached (or boiled) chicken breast with chilli sauce

5) Quality Italian food in a most wonderful Italian restaurant located at the bottom of a hill, bordering a forest. Fresh roses in glass vases, crystal chandeliers, a big hunk of wood-oven bread on the counter, sliced fresh for customers, cosy, cosy little place. I ate rocket with olive oil and freshly shaved parmesan, breasoala (air dried beef), parma ham on melon, baby mozarella with tomato and hummus Antipasti, and a huge plate of spagetthi vongole (made with tomatoes, which I'd rather without)

6) A huge pau-like thingy filled with a liquorice-tasting fruit paste (which looked like chocolate - disappointed), and a pancake filled with stewed apples and raisins, all swimming in a pool of fake-vanilla creme anglaise kinda thing (custard sauce). I must say I had a really difficult time swallowing this. Don't ask me what this is, I've only been told it's Austrian in origin.

7) Dinner was wonderful today. Braised ox cheeks (all gelatinous and tender and melt-in-the-mouth) with sweet glazed carrots and fluffy on the inside, crispy on the outside potato pancakes.

8) Curd cheese - savoury (not so nice, tastes and smells like feet) and sweetened with sugar and vanilla (much better - like eating thick, thick yogurt)


And that more or less sums up. Of, and of course, copious amounts of bacon, bratwursts, black forest ham and mushrooms for breakfast, every day.
And that about sums up my culinary adventures in Leonberg/Stuttgart. Must thank my gracious and generous hosts who took me on a driving tour around the picturesque town yesterday, crossing centuries-old stone bridge (for horse carts) and the Stuttgart Summer Festival. All in all, a Business trip so much better than the last one in UK. Only thing missing is the biggest gap of them all - my AK.

My stomach is totally bloated from the oxcheeks now.

No comments: