Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Deutschland DumDum


Missing BooBoo and AK, and everytime I'm at the station waiting or in the train, I pull out my camera and content myself looking at photos of US. Like this video of Boo trying to catch human-waving Mr. Men on the computer screen.

Oh how I miss them.

I've arrived at the home of the Mercedes-Benz and Porsche, or Siemens and Bosch, of SAP. Aiirved after sitting/sleeping in a not-so-comfy Business Class seat on a 777 for 12 hours (not trying to be ungrateful here, but the seat on the 777 so cannot compare to the one on the 747, the one AK and I took to London - this one is narrow, and the seat sleep position slopes at such an angle that I I tended to slide donwards when I tried to sleep.

Well, here's what I can say thus far:

1) Germany is a YAWN, especially on this bloody Sunday. Who the hell believes in closing up on Sunday anymore? Shopping is resting! And anyways I think it's all a nit hypocritical - I saw tons of people peering through the store displays anyways, it's not like they're spending the whole day at church or at a study group or something. And doesn't everyone need more STIMULUS in today's economy? Sunday shopping ban is totally ridiculous

2) Stuttgart is a rather pretty town, like 10% Paris and the rest like, erm, boring, GRAY or BROWN, totally uninteresting buildings. Some pretty architechture and gorgeous parks, but that's it.

3) Germans, so far, have the best attitude I've encountered in Europeans (the Dutch come a close second), not because they speak English (OK, I meant not only). They mostly keep to themselves, but when you need someone to take your picture, give you directions or even buy a train ticket for you, they're totally warm and helpful. Very good if you're alone.

4) Except for that train conductor on today's train, which I took from the Main station to Leonberg, a tiny little outskirt town where I'm bunking (where the pump factory is). Came in, started yelling at me in German. Someone was kind enough to translate, and turns out woolheaded me got into the wrong train compartment - I was in first class when I was holding a second class ticket. I was so tired I didn't catch the bloody sign above the window - 1st Class Ticket Holders only. Yeargh (so stupid) - presto, a 40-euro fine. Sigh, I feel like the truest idiot of them all. And yes, the sign was in German and English.

Oh, for Saturday, when AK, Boo and Bee will back together again!

No comments: