Thursday, May 14, 2009

Singapore Shots

Kids playing in the Bugis Fountain



Whoo-hoo! Weekends away from Miri, that's what we're talking about.

Really have to thank AK's friends, K and C, for shortcutting us to the two foods that I wanted to try the most in Singapore - chilli crab with deep fried mantou and frog legs porridge.

We had a blast down under in that little island - rented a comfy little hotel room (online booking with less than 12 hours notice! my kinda hotel); made short work of the ultra-efficient, comfy bus system, walked in Boat Quay/Clarke Quay, down Orchard, wandered Chinatown to death, all in good fun. Except for the crazy heat, that was.



Back to the food. I gotta say, talking about size alone, SG wins hands down in the Chilli Crab showdown. Look at the size of that claw! But gravy-wise, Penang is still the winner. More fragrant, more spicy, more lalu nasi, as they call it. Sor-ry, Penang is da best, but I can't help it if it's the truth, no?


Seriously addictive frog leg porridge. The legs are cooked in a highly savoury kung pao gravy (dark soy sauce, spring onions, dried chilli) and you stir the legs+gravy into your porridge. We had this in SG's red-light district, Geylang, where I was mistakenly growled at by one of the, erm, girls with cleavage out for all to see. Hey, my dress wasn't that short.

Oh, and I bought my first Le Creuset! In bright sunshiny yellow, love it. Thank you dear for lugging it all the way back for me (although somehow I still managed to sprain my back, still hurting until now).
Hmm, am planning to take some day off to immerse myself in the Great Singapore Sale.

No comments: