Friday, May 15, 2009

Gloatingly Bloated, Lemony Lemon Cakes


I'm feeling rather fat now. My stomach is bloated and I can't move.

No wonder - here's Solitary Dinners Part 2 - Barbeque flavoured potato chips, 1901 Hot Dog, 2 lemon cakes and too much vanilla ice cream than I can handle - my stomach feels so full now. Yeargh.

No mood to clean the house, which BooBoo and mama have totally messed up.

No willpower to get up and get onto the Elliptical, when I've been so disciplined the past few days.

Today, it's my day of dirty indulgence.

I have come a long way from my hurricane-just-passed-through-my-room-every-day phase, and have reached some zenith where I actually find it impossible to relax if the house is dirty.

But today, I find myself relaxing without an ounce of guilt.

BooBoo, of course, never feels guilty. Obviously his mama is learning from him.




Nigella's Lemon Cake
- Adapted from How to Be A Domestic Goddess

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup castor sugar
1 cup cake flour
2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
Zest from 3 lemons
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Syrup:
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup icing sugar

Rub the lemon zest with the sugar until the everything becomes yellow and smells lemony.
Cream the butter and lemon sugar till light and creamy.
Add the eggs and stir to combine
Fold in the flour and liquids, alternately.
Pour into your cake pan or what I used, a mini-bundt.
Bake at 275 degrees for 20 minutes, or 45 minutes.

Dissolve the sugar in the lemon juice, heating the mixture a little if needed.
Brush onto the still-warm cake.

Take Two - They taste much better after a night in the refridge


I find they taste much better after a night in the fridge - the cake is more cakey, the crumb is tighter and the lemony taste is more pronnounced - which is good. The sharp lemony flavour tastes a lot better cold.

No comments: