Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Letter to Molly

Dear Molly,

First of all, my hats off to you. I love your efferverscent writing, your wonderful, frill-free photos. I respect you love of salad, you baring (in effect, sharing) yourself to the world in Orangette.
I envy your book deal, your legions of fans.

I realize that true foodblog success (or success in anything, for that matter) takes an honest, true-to-oneself-ness that I have yet to have the courage for, that even in cyberspace I am reluctant to do so. But I try nonetheless, and still search for that fit for me.

But back to the apology. I tried your banana cake with chocolate and crystallized ginger, and it just did't work for me.

I used my mini-bundt pan, and ate two of these little babies fresh out of my little oven. They had crisp little edges from the tray and were delicious. But after 3 days of storage and forcing another two down, I had to throw the rest away - they smelled too sickly sweet and tasted rather like cough medicine. I really wanted to like them, I did. Perhaps I was the one who messed up - my meddling with recipes has gotten me in trouble before.

But I did take some nice pictures. And I still love your book to bits. And I will still, one day, try your dark chocolate cupcakes with dark chocolate caps, and your lifechanging-sounding Winning-Hearts-and-Minds chocolate cake, or Chocolate Nemesis cake (another online version), or Chocolate Mousse Cake (from Nigella's How to be a Domestic Goddess). Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I have to say, all in all, I am glad I tried it anyway. But no more banana cake or bread for some tiem.

But thank you, especially, for the inspiration.

No comments: