Thursday, May 31, 2012

Throws and Art

So the little kink we encountered in the transaction of our new place has been ironed out. HUGE sigh of relief. Despite the delays (about a month), the bottom line is, we still love the place, and to undergo another round of house-hunting, negotiations and starting the process of purchasing all over again would be at least twice as long. So we'll take what we can get.

We made an order for a handmade woven cane sofa here in Miri. I am absolutely in love with it. It is a boxy, modern design, rustic dark-brown colour, grey Indian cotton upholstery and turquoise cushions. I can't wait for it to be completed. AK bought me a woven chest from them three years back for as a birthday present, and after two years it's still in pristine condition. You can't find hand-made, top-quality workmanship and materials for the same prices in West Malaysia.

In the meantime I am window shopping online for inspirations and other stuff.

I really want a soft throw for the sofa, to be used as a blanket to be snuggled into during movie nights and when it rains. Don't these sofas look super cosy? They are just waiting to be snuggled into. This is the kind of decor style I favour - a mishmash of styles that one loves and not necessarily strictly adhering to a certain look, be it modern, tropical or countryside. I especially love the look of the plain sofa with colourful throw cushions and cosy rug.




Pictures above courtesy of the Style Files.

I have been hounding eBay for soft throws, and found two that I really really like, from here and here (pictures c/o). They are made from Acapalca wool from Peru and they don't come cheap. So I think I will wait a couple of weeks - till my sofa gets here at least - to see if the craving still stays. I've made one too many impulse purchases last year just because I shappenned to stumbe something I thought I really needed wanted. So this time I am trying to practice a bit more self-restraint and I am trying to buy some time before I click "Buy".




Oh, and I've also been stalking Etsy for artwork. Mostly local vendors (Thailand, Malaysia). I love paintings of local scenes - shophouses and temples in Penang, tranquil seascapes like these ones from here. I have a real penchant for watercolours, and I love the moody blue washes in these pieces.



I also love artwork depicting food and the kitchen (this being one my favourite blogs - her works are super funny). So I am thinking also about artworks like this one here, from another Etsy seller.

 Ahh, decisions, decisions.

No comments: