Thursday, May 31, 2012

Fresh ginger muffins

With the move impending, another thing I have been trying to do is use up my perishables - butter, cooking chocolate, flour - in my pantry and fridge.

So this long weekend I baked me some fresh ginger muffins. Just the pure flavour of fresh ginger, with a bit of bite in the texture, thanks the (deliberate) incomplete pulses in my little blender - I was too lazy to use my trusty Japanese porcelain grater.

Fresh ginger muffins
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup caster sugar
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp demerara sugar (optional, to top the muffins)
1/3 cup grated ginger

Preheat the oven to 160 deg C. Melt the butter and let it cool slightly. Stir in the ginger, caster and brown sugar to mix. Add the eggs by one, stirring to incorporate before adding the second one. Tip in the flour and stir just to incorporate. Spoon into muffin cups/tins, then sprinkle the tops with demerara sugar.

Bake for around 20 minutes, till a skewer inserted in the middle of the muffins come out clean.

No comments: