Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Spoils from Thailand

Lotus-shaped celadon platter. I plan to place a big scented candle on this.


Pashminas galore. The prettiest paisley one in the background is a bit coarse (can't ask for much for a mere 150 baht), so I am using it as a sofa blanket. This wonderful stall owner lady told me that she "no talk much, other people ask for 350 baht, but I no talk. 150 baht!", so I bought three - the paisley one and the purple ones (one plain with flowers embroidered at the edges, and one with silver thread patterns). The plain grey one I bought at one of the shops for 100 baht.


Adorable elephant coin purses and keychains.



Handstiched coin purses. 10-30 baht.


A whimsical three-elephant painting. A 100% silk Jim Thompson kerchief I intend to frame and display. The lanna-patterned piece at the back is actually the Jim Thompson packaging - I love it so much that I framed it already.


3 miniature elephants. I spent the entire trip scouring for colourful, happy-looking ones and ended up with these three. AK wouldn't let me get more.

Another JT masterpiece, this time in blue. And a pair of adorable postcards I also want to frame up, preferably in my future daughter's room. :)



Tranquil Buddha plaque carved from blackwood. We bargained this down from 450 to 200 baht!


Here it is in our humble little rented living room.



Here is the aformentioned JT envelope that I framed up.



A funky baby tee with textured Thai God pattern. And the piece de resistance (by far the most expensive of the lot) - a 100% silk, super duper soft and luxurious JT shawl for mum.


Here is a closeup of the pattern. AK spotted the stall selling this and dragged me over, where we proceeded to purchase 4 pieces - one for each of us and one for each of my brothers.


Here's some more shots of the JT shawl. Most tempted to keep this for myself, but a slob like me will likely ruin something so beautiful.




Oh, and MY favourite purchase, the Jim Thompson stuffed elephant. Beside it is a framed applique of a famous Thai effigy.



The 3-headed elephant Erawan or Airavata, which is the mythical "elephant of the clouds"; a white elephant that carried the God Indra. I learnt this from Wikipedia, actually. At the time of purchase all I knew was that this was the most gorgeous figurine of the lot. And if you haven't noticed by now, I do love elephants.



Look at the craftsmanship of this stuffed elephant from Jim Thompson - the little stitched hooves, the mouth and of course the adorable plaque on his bowtie.

I actually have more stuff (more clothes, Jim Thompson t-shirts for both AK and I, normal stuff we collect like key chains and fridge magnets). Next post!!

No comments: