Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Couscous with Orange Drumsticks

Simple dinner for two, perfect for the weeknights.

I marinated these drumsticks overnight in a mixture of fresh orange juice, onion puree, soy, brown sugar and a wee bit of cayenne. The orange juice tenderises the flesh of the chicken, allowing me to grill these babies in the oven without turning them dry and stringy. The slight acidity of the juice also tenderises the meat.

The couscous was even simpler - just boil a slightly higher volume of water than the weight of the couscous you want to use (I found that 150 grams of the grain worked great for the both of us, thus I needed about 175 mils of water), add some chicken stock concentrate, salt, pepper and a dash of olive oil. When the mixture comes to a boil, turn the heat off and tip the couscous in. Cover with a lid and leave for 3-4 minutes. After which, take off the cover, add a lump of butter and fluff with a fork, voila! serve. Easier than rice and healthier than instant noodles.

I decided to add a bit of green to the golden grain, so instead of just popping in plain butter, I sauteed some mustard greens and garlic in a larger lump of butter+oil that I usually need for one minute, turned the heat off then popped the whole thing into the couscous mixture, and mixed through.

AK totally approved of this meal, which is great. Wonderful couscous trial run - why didn't I try it our earlier, I have no idea. But to be sure, couscous is going to make more frequent appearences in our future meals! Now, if only I can find a store in Miri that stocks it...




No comments: