Thursday, October 22, 2009

Solitary Opportunities

Things that can only be done ALONE:

So the time has finally come - AK goes offshore and leaves BooBoo and me for the next 2 weeks.
Living a more-or-less solitary existence (with the exception of the occasional working lunch/churchgoing) does have SOME, although I'd admit, not many, perks. You can live by standards very much lower than when there is the two of you. For example, Spicy potato chips and durian could constitute a pretty good dinner where you're concerned, but add a partner, and then expectations change. The TV could be forever tuned to the Cooking channel and no one would protest. And of course, combine the two to eating in front of the TV, which definitely is a conversation killer and not acceptable when the other half hates watching people cooking while he's eating, whereas you on the the other hand love it.

So here's a list of things I will be doing on my own:

1) Watch Julie and Julia, a movie on Julia Child, mother of poetic cooking in America

2) Tidy up my personal files - think it has been 4 years since I've done so. Make separate folders for insurance, shareholdings, investments, taxes, book receipts, warranty cards, etc etc.

3) Go furniture shopping! I have in mind a filing cabinet to be used as a kitchen cabinet - I will be seriously lacking kitchen space ionce we move. Other items include a TV bench, full-length mirrors, a new dustbin for my kitchen (hopefully a chic stainless steel one), towel racks for hanging hooks on, to hang my kitchen paraphernilia - AND - I'd better get these before AK comes back and gets me to change my mind :P


These cabinets would be perfect for my use - they're made of coated steel not flimsy plywood, so I can use their tops as worksurfaces (peeling, chopping, stirring) and keep jars/cans/tupperware in them.
4) Start setting up the garden - pre-plant my lemongrass and pandan.

No comments: