Friday, October 23, 2009

Orange Nutella Cupcakes


Let nothing go to waste, especially the fruit of the earth. I used the rind of the oranges (plus some stolen juice) for the jelly I made earlier. And since I still had some Nutella left over from Germany, I decided to use it here. I don't normally like my chocolate with fruit, but this is a really elegant combination - chocolate and orange - if I do say so myself. The cake is from Nigella's Lemon Cake recipe, but with more liquid in the form of juice instead of milk for a moister cake, since I would not be soaking it in syrup this time.

Orange Cake with a Nutella Filling

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons castor sugar
1 cup cake flour
2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
Zest from 3 oranges
4 tablespoons orange juice, or enough for a runny batter
6 tablespoons Nutella, frozen individually

Rub the orange zest with the sugar until the everything becomes orange and smells like the fruit.
Cream the butter and orange sugar till light and creamy.
Add the eggs and stir to combine.
Fold in the flour and liquids, alternately.
Get your cupcake pan out. Fill with batter only a quarter up halfway, then add a tablespoon of frozen Nutella on the batter. Top up with the remaining batter till 3/4 full.
Bake at 275 degrees for 20 minutes.

Dear Reader, forgive me this photo, I just cannot resist showing off my new look - in the form of sexy-schoolmarm, rimmed Hugo Boss glasses :)

No comments: