Monday, October 5, 2009

Orange Jasmine Tea Jelly

What to do with office-issued oranges when neither of us enjoy eating them as is?


Peel them, remove the seeds and as much as the white pith/membrane as you can. I grated the rind for orange cupcakes first (putting almost the entire fruit to use - waste not, want not after all). Make sure to collect all the juices as well in the bowl you want to make your jelly in (I really don't recommend using little jelly moulds for this as you'd have to make your orange segments pretty small). If the oranges are not sweet enough, sprinkle over some sugar and let them macerate for 10-15 minutes.

Put the kettle on to boil, and prepare your teabags (I used jasmine tea, but I suppose black tea can be used as well, not so sure about green tea). Get a heatproof measuring jug ready and place your teabags in the jug.

Reading the instructions on your gelatine/jelly powder packet (I used konkayyu jelly powder), and pour just enough boiling water to make the jelly. Sweeten to taste again, with sugar or honey. Stir to dissolve (with konkayyu jelly powder sometimes I had to whisk really vigorously - it tends to clump).

Chill till set.




No comments: