Saturday, March 3, 2012

Weekend Brekkie - another take on oatmeal






I like to think of this version as an apple pie-like one. I normally eat my oatmeal with banana, the ideal fruit I think with oats. But that got a bit old, and soon I was yearning for something different. Since I had apples, why not try those? Putting raw apples directly into oatmeal didn't do it for me - no oomph at all. So I decided to try this instead - I stirred half an apple, diced, with a teaspoon of muscovado sugar and a small knob of fresh ginger (grated, with the juice) for a little warmth. I microwaved this mixture for about a minute, till the apples got tender and a sticky little sauce was created - not unlike caramel :). I topped my usual soy-oat mixture with this and it was everything it promised to be - warm with the ginger, and like I said, very apple pie.


Oh, and to grate my ginger, I used my fabulous little Japanese ceramic grater, so much easier than using a handheld one. Plus it helps to collect the "juice" that gets extracted during the grating. I got mine at one of those 5-ringgit Japanese stores and it works like dream. Genius invention.





No comments: