Monday, January 23, 2012

Overjoyed Cake

I admit, it's not in my nature to follow recipes to a t. I can't help myself, even after a few slip ups and lessons leaent here and there.

And sometimes you hit the bulls eye.

I have made three batches of this already, and they're all gone. Dad, upon seeing the rather homely looking too of the cake, declared my Mandarin Orange Cake with a Streusel Topping 'overjoyed'. After a good guffaw I decided to stick with it. It is, after all, a joybringer.





What it is is basically a butter cake filled with mandarin orange segments, and topped with a nutty, crunchy streusel topping.

When segmenting the oranges, do try to remove as much of the pith as possible, in fact remove the papery membrane if you can. Do this over a bowl to catch any juices. It's ok if the segments fall apart, reserve them all. They will moisten and perfume the final product.


No comments: