Sunday, September 4, 2011

Mah fuhture maison

The great thing about renting In the earlier stages of your career is that you tend to know exactly what you want (and what you don't) when the time comes for you to take the plunge and BUY your own place. In honor of that, and also as a reminder to myself (and also because I can't resist), I've composed a little list of needs and wants of my future home:

1) South or north facing. Our current rental unfortunately has the main living room wall facing west, which means that except for those days when it rains, the air conditioner has to be switched on in the evenings.

2) Lots of natural light. No porch extensions or teeny windows.

3) High ceilings. I can't stand those tiny low one-storey terraces, and I'd take out any false/plaster ceilings.

4) Ditto for unnecessary partitioning. I'd really love an open-concept home where the living room flows into the dining, a breakfast counter then the kitchen. AK feels like this might be a waste of air conditioning, but I think we won't need it if we meet criteria #1.

5) A large dining area/space for entertaining. I want a space that can fit a table that seats eight.

6) In terms of location, a leafy, quiet neighborhood away from main roads, schools, commercial areas (i.e. Shophouses) and places of worship. Preferably with gnarly old trees and a nearby park. I don't care for places like Bandar Utama and Mutiara Damansara for precisely this reason - the houses are new and the amenities are great but there are hardly any trees around, which is a great shame. Desa Parkcity is a bit out of our reach, but the older suburbs of Subang Jaya, USJ, TTDI, etc. are great for this reason.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iP

No comments: