Monday, December 7, 2009

Lime Rubble


Why I made it the way I made it:

1) Limes are way cheaper than lemons in this part of the world. I pay Rm1.60 for one measly lemon, and RM1 for 15 juicy (albeit small) limes. So I spend a bit more time juicing them one by one, but they do yield a lot easier. It's like squishing bugs :)
2) I halved the recipe as I don't have the heart to use up so much sugar and butter in one sitting
3) I used Nigella's trick of blast-freezing the pastry flour and sugar before mixing in the butter, for maximum shortness
4) I love rich-yet-sour desserts

Why did I call it Lime Rubble? Well, I seriously thing BJ would come after me with a lawsuit if I show these babies as representatives of her recipe. Make no mistake though - they are absolutely delicious, and I'd make them again in a heartbeat.

Lime Rubble
Inspired by Belinda Jeffrey's Luscious Lemon Slices

90 g butter, cut into small pieces and chilled well
3/4 cups AP flour
1/2 cup icing sugar
lime juice, chilled, 2-3 tablespoons

Filling:
2 eggs and 1 egg yolk
100 ml lime juice
3/4 cups flour
1 cup caster sugar

To make the pastry:
Preheat oven to 180 degC.
Line your baking tin with greaseproof paper.
Sift icing sugar and flour into a bowl.
Freeze for 10 minutes (keep your butter in the fridge at this point)
Rub the pieces of butter into flour-sugar mixture till the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Slowly, add 2-3 tsps of lime juice or until the dough comes together in a ball.
Chill to firm, then roll out onto a baking tin.
Prebake for 18 minutes or until it starts to look brown at the edges.

For the filling, stir eggs and sugar together till smooth and light.
Add the lime juice, and then sift in the flour. I alse added a pinch of salt.
Pour filling mixture (give it a good stir before pouring) over the pastry dough and bake for a further 30 - 40 minutes until a skewer inserted in the center turns out clean.

Cool, and serve at room temperature.

No comments: