Monday, July 27, 2009

Moving Forward

I have been taking the move much more maturely than I ever expected of myself. In fact, as the days whiz by in the yard I find myself getting more and more used to the fact that I will be office based, in Miri. I mean, I'm searching for a smaller, more sustainable house, and I 'm going through all the opportunities I will have to do at home and everything.

It still amazes me, my emotional calm and maturity when handling this.

I mean, it would be totally exciting to go offshore with the team I have been working closely with, to work on the things I have worked hard on (on paper) the past 2 years, as well as relive the crazy stuff I went through already. But then again, life is so much more than just working till exhaustion, isn't it?

I will be delving into a totally different field, pulling myself out of the nuts and bolts and into strategizing and financial planning.

Come to think of it, I have never actually been in a 8 to 5 job in Miri, since joining this organization. I was first on a 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off basis offshore, then I joined the project and started travelling on an almost weekly basis to KL, and now am based in JB. I have never stayed put in Miri, ever.

So, after 4 years "based" in Miri but never really staying here for extended periods, let alone by myself, I finally will be.

So what CAN I do with all the extra time I have NOT travelling?

I could:-

1) Take up an online course. I really want to take the CFA, but am unable to find one in Miri
:( Keep searching!

2) Grow my little baking business

3) Volunteer to teach underpriveledged children. One thing that is readily available in Miri, or Sarawak for that matter - there is no shortage of people to help. It's sad - this place is probably generating 40% of Malaysia's income/exports (not just oil and Gas, but timber is a valuable commodity too), but the people who actually benefit probably make just 10% of the population. Gut-wrenching poverty is still prevalent - ugly squatters along the Miri river, people surviving on pittance.

I also look forward to being forced to make new friends, as well as working for a company outsider. So far my experience with people who are NOT from the organization have been the most rewarding and fulfilling. No kidding.

When one door closes, another opens. We'll see, shall we?

No comments: