Sunday, March 1, 2009

On Baking and the Recession

Can it really be done? A cake made without butter?

These, friends, are times of hardship. Or at least for 70% of the world's population (my guesstimate). And when butter costs 10 bucks a stick, one is forced to find other means of doing the things one loves - baking.

Most people have magazine/newspaper clip outs of recipes they intend to try. I archive them by Recipezaar and shamelessly copying off people's blogs.

I wanted a cake recipe I could whip up in no time, with storecupboard ingredients, and I can make this anytime I feel like having a mouthful of fluffy sugary crubly cake. I switched it upa wee bit - used half brown sugar, half white for a toffee-ish flavour and coconut milk instead of regular. To be honest I couldn't taste the coconut at all, but I could picture adding some dessicated coconut to the batter for a more distinct taste, if I could.

I'm sorry, I have to gloat. Photography is a continuous process for me, and I have just purchased my 3rd point-and-shoot in half the number of years. I lost the first two, and right now I'm (kinda) glad I did, because the third time really is the charm. You can almost see my reflection in the caramel topping here.



Hot Coconut Milk Sponge Cake
Adapted from http://www.recipezaar.com/Hot-Milk-Sponge-Cake-58603



1 cup flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk/coconut milk
1 tbsp oil/butter (I used coconut oil)
1 cup sugar (I used half brown sugar)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

Warm the milk and oil/butter in a heavy based pan, slowly till a few bubbles start appearing. Meanwhile, beat eggs, vanilla and sugar till creamy and sugar has dissolved.
Add the hot milk mixture (slowly) into the eggs+sugar mixture, stirring all the time.
Fold in the flour and baking powder, till combined.
Bake at 190 deg C preheated oven for half an hour.





For the condensed milk caramel, simply stand the can of milk in a pot of water and boil for one and a half hours. Let it cool, then decant into an airtight container and store in the fridge.


No comments: