Monday, March 30, 2009

The Happy Accident: Dorie's Peanuttest Blondies-turned-Cupcakes

Ah how the weekend whizzes by. A little housewarming, some gastric pains, a lot of fussing over Baby and his getting used to staying at home..and it's all gone.

Sigh.

I baked a batch of brownies for boss's housewarming while doubled up in pain - and (I shoulda known this) they came out too dry and crumbly after I fell asleep in the couch and failed to take them out of the oven on time. So housewarming gift making aborted, and I gave E my new (unused) set of pretty waterglasses instead and the brownies to AK.

Nothing like a failed bake to inspire another one.
I was tempted by Dorie Greenspan's Baking: My Home to Yours' Peanuttest Blondies recipe. Peanut butter is one of my most favourite things in the world. And I'm always looking to baking with peanuts more - they cost a fraction of the price of walnuts, almonds or hazelnuts, and only almonds can't be substituted with them, IMHO.

First, roast some peanuts. Spray a handful with some oil, sprinkle a little sea salt. Using your hands, mix everything up and spread on a baking tray. Place in a preheated 170 degC oven for 5-6 minutes and be diligent about watching the oven! I have ended up with little black rocks more often than I'd like to admit.


Next, apologize to Dorie for the corruption that you are about to commit. I believe she meant these to be dense, sweet and, well, blondie/brownie-like. Overcompensating for the lack of baking soda led me to add a touch more baking powder than I intended, resulting in these fluffy little numbers that came with gorgeous crispy crusts - my favourite part of the cupcakes. And, they were so good AK and I ate 3 cupcakes between us as soon as they were cool enough to hold in our greedy hands.

I give my corrupt version here. Next time I'd probably make them the same, except I'd reduce the sugar and butter, and up the PB content for added stickiness. I'd also add a touch more salt.
Peanut Cupcakes
Adapted from Dorie's Peanuttest Blondies

1/2 cup peanut butter (cruchy or chunky)
2 1/2 tbsp butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 large egg
1/2 cup roasted peanuts

1) Start by creaming the butter with the peanut butter until almagated.

2)Then tip in the sugar and stir till you can't see the sugar crystals anymore. Using a handheld mixer this takes less than 10 minutes.

3) Then crack in the egg, stir, add the vanilla, and stir till the mixture stops curdling.

4) Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into the batter (meaning scoop the flour into a sieve, tip in the baking powder then sift into the wet batter).

5) Fold in to combine, then tip in the peanuts (roughly chopped) and fold in again.

6) Spoon into your muffin pan, bake at 170 degC for 20 minutes or until your skewer/knife inserted into the thickest part of the cake (usually the middle) comes out clean.


No comments: