Monday, July 30, 2012

Publika

If I keep this up the Eats posts will soon outnumber the Cooking ones.

Despite the recent spate of bad news about malls in Klang Valley in general, I have fallen in love with this place. This, despite the super confusing mall layout, and the shops are so spread out that it takes some sturdy shoes and a little bit of bravado to explore the place proper.

But one's curiosity is rewarded with some really quirky shops. Not your run-of-the-mill MNG, Zara and the such - lots of local stuff, which is really nice to see. My faves - Kaleidoscope - a "lifestyle" outlet that stocks really nice accessories and cute homeware (they have clothes as well, but I found the collection nothing to shout about), 34 Bespoke - Malaysian-designed leather goods (didn't buy anything but the stuff looks of top notch quality - especially love the leather cuffs).

Foodwise - the food court boasts some really excellent versions of Yam Rice, Pan Mee, Beef Noodles and Zhang. For breakfast last weekend, we decided to be a little adventurous and try out the Red Bean Bag. I had the French toast, which was lovely (although I did flinch at shelling out RM12 for a slice of bread, I will be honest). AK ordered the baked eggs, and let me tell you, I was truly jealous when I dipped a fork into the dish and took a bite. It was a molted Middle-Eastern-esque concoction of eggs baked with minced lamb, sausage, aubergine in a passata sauce, topped with oozy mozzarella. Worth every bit of the RM17.90 we paid for it.

And did I mention B.I.G's, or Ben's Independent Grocers? Who says grocery shopping has to be boring? With its chalkboard quotes at the produce section, and the fact that you can find everything from Bunga Kantan to goose fat under one roof. So I pay a little more for my groceries - at least I know I'm buying kampung eggs, washed organic spinach (for RM1.30 a bunch - not bad for such an upmarket place), organic oyster mushrooms (RM2.40 a bag - cheaper than Miri), freshly cured bacon (at RM5.89/100 g, really reasonable) and environmentally-friendly handsoap and washing liquid (which you should too, by the way).


Lovely planter in front of The Red BeanBag


Quotes to grocery shop by at Ben's Independent Grocer


Kaleidoscope

No comments: