Monday, October 3, 2011

London Shopping List

My excitement is quickly building up in anticipation of joining AK in Europe! Despite all the bleargh stuff happenning at work (the only way I know how to describe it all now), it's not every day, month or year that we get to travel like this. So I say f*** you to all that is wrong with my life right now and roll right on over to happier stuff.

Like couch surfing research on how to make the most of our half day in London before jetting off to Seville and then Venice. Am also thinking of a day trip to Córdoba when we are in Seville, to see the Alcazar, the Great Mosque of Córdoba and all the Moorish architechture I can take in.

Being from Penang, I do appreciate beautiful buildings. I might not be able to pull a Ted Mosby but I do try to distinguish between Gothic, Renaissance and Art Noveau best I can. I take in all that I can - the stained glass windows, the gargoyles, the signages, the cobblestone streets. This is also why I love Penang, and fell in love with the Cordoba district of Mumbai. I never realised it until I looked through all my vacation photos and realised that in addition to food (and shopping, might as well just admit it), I am a (European) architecture buff. Feel free to guffaw now.

On we go, back to the delicously frivolous.

The last time we were in London I managed to get to Harrods and its famed food halls. Not as great as I expected, and the prices were, well beyond me. I didn;t even buy an Ispahan macaron (5 bloody pounds a piece)

This time I have been checking out Harvey Nichols. They also have a pretty famed food market which I am dying to check out.

Meanwhile I have of course already checked out the goodies on their website. Ansd here's what I have my eye on so far:




Harvey Nichols Chocolate Drink Caddy. I fell in love with this the moment I saw it in ELE Singapore magazine a few years ago. Just look at that adorable label. Our tropical weather might not be all that condusive for a mug of thick hot chocolate with peppermint marshmallows and a slug of brandy/whiskey/Bailey's, but I sure can whip one up for snuggling under a blanket on a rainy day. And I'll hand down the tin to my kids, I promise!






Mariage Freres Green Tea from Provence. Super posh. Knowing me I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between this and other supposedly more inferior stuff. But again, I am a total sucker for such gorgeous packaging. Gotta have it!







And this one is just too cute to let slip. Yellow submarine tea infuser. I want I want I want!




With the exchange rate less wince-inducing, Christmas coming soon, the fact I need as many pick me ups as I can get, it might be another year or two before I visit London again...and many other perfectly rational reasons :)....I am definitely going to get my hands on these. Now the only question is whether to buy them online and have them delivered to AK first, or pay a visit and decide then....


No comments: