Monday, July 26, 2010

Sustenance for One

I probably save the most household money when AK isn't around.

I eat more out of need that full-whetted appetite. But I have found some small, cheap and easy pleasures, food that I can whip up in less than 20 minutes and does not have more than 20 ingredients that I can't pronounce (aka instant noodles).



- Masala omelettes with whole-wheat tortillas
By far my favourite thing to make - cheap, easy and very good. Soften thinly sliced onion in a little oil, letting them get brown at the edges. Stir in curry powder (or half tsp turmeric and one tsp cayenne), add 2 eggs beaten in a bowl with some soy, pepper and sometimes a sliced up chilli if you feel like it. Meanwhile, toast the tortilla. I use my indispensable oven toaster. Once the omelette is done, tumble it onto the tortilla, roll up and eat.


- Sausages with tortilla/chapatis

My mum did me the biggest favour when she recommended those premade tortillas. They keep and taste better than bread. But when I ran out I had to find a substitute. And frozen chappatis (almost all good supermarkets stock them in their freezer section). Put a tray in the oven and preheat, then pop in the frozen chapati (do not defrost or let it get even the slightest bit warmer - it'll stick). Oops - before that, I stick my favourite garlic beef sausage into the oven. Then after 10-15 minutes and the sausage is cooked, pop in the chappati (which only takes 3 minutes to reheat). Roll up and savour.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello

Thanks for writing this blog, loved reading it