Monday, July 26, 2010

Gifts to Myself

1) An order with Amazon.com:-

i) Bury Me Standing, by Isabel Fonseca, a book on European gypsies in the modern day.

I've been reading articles on this subject (gypsy culture, habits, discrimination) on Amnesty International, Wikipedia and the like. And I'd like to know a bit more.

ii) The Night Trilogy: Night, Dawn, Day by Elie Wiesel

Well, one thing inevitably leads to another. Inspired by the Say No to Racism banners unfurling during the World Cup, and again, reading about it on the Football Against Racism in Europe (FARE) website, which lead me to read more on Wikipedia on racism in football, and then racism in Europe, and so on.

This book is about a family that survived the Holocaust, and finding hope and peace after.

2) A subscription to TIME magazine.

I've been living out of it for a bit too long. Just because I don't mix with enough people to talk about current affairs (out of my own anti-socialness and nothing else, mind you) that does not make not bothering an excuse. This was the reason I was not psyched by the World Cup. Being tucked away in Miri means having to put in more effort to understand (and get fascinated by) the world around me.

3) Tickets back to KL during the upcoming (short) Merdeka holiday. Always worth the money, no matter how much I end up spending, it seems.

No comments: