Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Cruise Control

I think I really need an energy boost, not so much physically but mentally.

Why is it that I used to get so excited, adrenaline pumping and all gung-ho about my job, looking forward to each new day?

Now, I dread my workdays. I feel that I have either arrived too late, or am not good enough to make a real difference.

Had a conversation with one of my many bosses, and he mentioned how easy it was to just cruise along with the Titanic (ok, Titanic is my word for it) instead of flagging things up and really forcing change to happen. He talked about his expectations for me and why I was put into this team in the first place, despite warnings from new boss about "not rocking the boat too much."

Which reminds me of a question my Core Leadership Program course instructor once asked her class - Why do I want to be a leader?

I remember the answer that sprang in my mind straightaway - because I believe that I can make a difference. And I really did.

Fast forward just 5 months, and here I am, struggling to find my footing here.

No comments: