Sunday, August 21, 2011

Buttermilk Fried Chicken



For perfectly good reasons, I try to avoid deep frying as much as possible. The mess, the oil splashed on skin and countertops, the waste of the oil, and of course, ALL THOSE CALORIES.

But as soon as I laid eyes on this recipe, I gave in.

And I'm glad I did. I halved the recipe, more or less, for three drumticks for AK and 2 chicken breasts for myself. I didn't have buttermilk or seasoned salt, so I used milk with the juice of a lime stirred in, and for the salt I used instead sea salt, garlic powder and cayenne. Lots of freshly ground black pepper ground in too, I think, is essential.

We ate our fried chicken, juices dripping down our chins, teeth crunching into the crispy skin, with simply steamed baby corn cobs, watching Law and Order: SVU. Perfect.

No comments: