Friday, April 1, 2011

After THAT weekend

The good news:

1) Someone took a good look at our financial situation and the end result was validation, not to mention relief

2) We met quite a few mature, successful and interesting folks our age whom we'd love to continue to get to know. People outside of our working lives, who have similar goals and sensibilities. People whom we can learn from and share experiences with. I met someone my age who took a two-year career break to pursue her passion. When will I have the guts to do the same?

3) Our direction is clear - relocate, liquidate some of our paper assets and dive into a brand new, exciting venture. Our age and and where we are financially means that we possess just the right risk appetites and financial muscle (if we do say so ourselves) to be able to do this. Guess we should start counting our blessings more often.

The bad news? None, really.

For myself and myself alone, all of this has invigorated me somewhat. Make no mistake, I am still down on the fact that we are where we are (actual location). And the pull is now stronger than ever. But at least it gives me something to look forward to - and importantly, to plan for and move towards, that independence and giving up a cushy job to pursue something I truly want to do is not an impossibility.

We just have to lay the foundation, and I guess you could say we have been laying it for some time now - working offshore and not spending as much money as some of our peers, staying in this rural township, renting instead of buying, and getting into investment before we reach our 30's. Here's hoping for that big leap (or two), for better things to come.

No comments: