Sunday, February 20, 2011

Masala Chai

I have a new love, from India it comes.

The woodblock print placemat is from Anokhi, a beautiful ethical textile shop/boutique/cafe in Jaipur

Masala chai tea, or really really strong spiced tea.

I have never been a tea person. Coffee is, and always will be my caffeine of choice.

But sometimes (more often than not nowadays), a cup of sweet comfort, in all its spicy, milky goodness, is in order.


The miniature painting is from a handmade paper shop in Johari Bazaar, near the Hawa Mahal in Jaipur

I bought this adorable tin of tea in my attempt to spend the last of my rupees at the Mumbai Airport. Turns out all the prices were in US dollars :)
Now I worry about where I am going to get my fix once this stash runs out. Madhur Jaffrey has a recipe in her book - but I have to make 6 cups every time I feel like a fix. Hopefully I will be able to find some in Penang. Miri, of course, is hopeless.

No comments: