Thursday, December 20, 2012

Interlude

Even with the barrage of news that hits us daily, this piece really hit a nerve.
I for one try to keep in touch with world happennings as much as possible. I subscribe to the NYTimes, CNN and Bloomberg are among the 2 apps I use the most on my iPhone. I read books about wars and genocide in Iraq, Africa, South America and Cambodia. So you could say that I am no stranger to sensasionalist news.

But these were children (all 6 - 7 years old). What struck me here was the senseless slaughter of innocents that could have been avoided. This opinion piece says everything I feel about guns in America and the policies that govern them. There is a human cost to so-called freedom.

We will forever be moved by the heroic acts of the brave teachers who put themselves in between the gunman and the children. But, tragically, unless something changes, there will always be heroes. There will always be senseless deaths and there will always be the grappling for answers.

My hope is that these women and children will be remembered not for the senselessness of the very act, not for the statistics, but for the begininng of real change in America.

No comments: