Tuesday, November 20, 2012

City on the sea

I like Venezia better at night.


When the endless, sometimes maddening crowd somewhat dies down.

When she puts on her mask, and starts to show a bit more of herself.


Still, there is something to be said about all the shimmering water all around you, reflecting the sunlight.



My biggest gripe about Venezia is the sheer number of people like me. People who flock to her, jostling for her attention.

People who wanna sit at the pier and gaze at the cliche that is those annoyingly loving couples (or nowadays, noisy but well-moneyed Chinese tourists) being serenaded to in gondolas (80 Euros per ride, the last we asked).

I realize now, I could never compete amongst Venezia's many admirers. I just don't have the moolah (or the willingness to spend so much) to eat at Harry's Bar, or buy a few Gucci bags, or sit on at St. Mark's Square at Cafe Florian with a cappucinno. Venezia really made me feel rather poor and unworthy. Well, on the bright side (I guess), I am not the only one.




We did try a gorgeous fritto misto at a little touristy osteria which for the life of me I now cannot remember the name of.


Truth be told, we ate mostly at this little place, mostly Mozzarella in Carrozza. With ham, and plain.


I also knew I had to take home one of these. A lovingly Made in Venice paper mache mask.



Ahh Venezia, we had our little moments. I pray that you'll forever be awash in all that glitz and glamour.

I hope you'll always stay aloof and unattainable, and keep to that little habit of always holding a little something back. I'm pretty sure you will.

 

No comments: