Friday, November 11, 2011

Milestone - not

Sigh, how time flies. I can’t believe I am turning the big 3-0 soon *cringe*. There is still so much I want to do, and to be absolutely truthful, I kinda expected more from myself coming into this age.

Nevertheless there is still so much to be thankful for, and so much to look forward to. So it is to the future I look to (where else?) and to a life more whole in my thirties. But that is a story for another day.

So I shall treat the looming date less like a milestone where I have to have something to show for, and more like an excuse for another round of self indulgence and frivolity. So, without much ado, here is my requisite birthday wish list:

1) One of Michael Kors black or silver oversized watches for ladies. I have lusted over Cartier and Tag Hauer in the past, and almost pulled out my trusty credit card when we walked into a TH store and I discovered that the prices are much lower than I expected. But after much contemplation I realize that a) I need to conserve the cash for our plans next year, and 2) even if I didn’t, I’d much rather spend the money on another set of plane tickets. My wanderlust knows no bounds, and surpasses even my shopaholism. Besides, I kinda have a thing for big mens’ watches (I like to juxtapose against with my perceivably small wrist), better still if they look like my grandfather owned them.





2) Ferragamo Varina ballerina flats. So stylish and versatile, and comfy too. I tried on a pair in Venice and fell in love (they felt surprisingly more comfortable than the Tods loafers I also tried). But again, can’t bring myself to splash out on them.



3) An iPhone 4s. I still do not own a smartphone, and am tired of waiting for the iPhone 5 that just refuses to show itself.


4) A large order with Amazon.com. it has been somewhat of a yearly tradition for me to either place a yearly magazine subscription and/or an extra large order with Amazon.com for my birthday. Here’s on my list this year:


- Holly Becker’s Decorate. So many good reviews on Amazon.com, including a video one! I admit I was a little put off by some reviews stating that her style is more shabby chic/ cottage, but seeing the video review made my mind up for me – I want!




- India Contemporary. I have mentioned before that I love the Indian aesthetic - in small, modernized doses. This book looks just like something I am looking for.

- Jamie Oliver’s Cook with Jamie: My Guide to Making You a Better Cook. I’ve been wanting a culinary encyclopedia for ages. One with great writing, of course. And while I usually prefer Nigella Lawson or Nigel Slater’s writing, the reviews of this book, and the fact this one is rather more technical – diagrams of cuts of meat, the fine details of pasta making , etc. are calling out to me

- Any of Donna Hay’s books. I also want Nigella Christmas.

*I’ve already placed my order (I threw in Martha Stewart's Cookies too) Nigella Christmas, orgininally on sale at only USD14, is sold out!! Now I want it even more damnit!

No comments: