Friday, February 6, 2009

Sago Gula Melaka

Gula melaka or palm sugar is like a sticky sweet, toffee-ish, caramelly sugar from the heart of the palm tree. Darker than caramel and with a taste that's so much more moreish. I, for one, love sticking a few tiny pieces into my mouth and letting them melt on my tongue. Just a little, or its sweetness makes it cloying.

One of AK's favourite desserts is Sago Gula Melaka, and luckily for me, it's really a fool proof recipe to make, something I can whip up when I get home from work and have it ready one or two hours after dinner.


Here's the recipe I use:

4 cups water
3 ounces pearl sago, rinsed and drained
3 ounces palm sugar (gula melaka)
3 tablespoons and 1/2 teaspoon water
3/4 cup and 2 teaspoons canned coconut milk + pinch of salt

DIRECTIONS
1) Bring 10 cups of water to a boil in a large pot.
2) Gradually stir in the sago so that it does not clump. Return to a boil, then reduce the heat to low.
3) Cook until the sago turns translucent, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Pour the sago into jelly molds, and refrigerate for a couple of hours
4) When about to serve, melt the palm sugar in the microwave with a few teaspoons of water. Stir the salt through the cococnut milk.
5) Unmold the puddings, and serve with the coconut milk and palm sugar syrup (gula melaka). I like the combo of the cold sago and warm coconut milk+gula melaka.

No comments: