Saturday, December 20, 2014

My mum's Awesome Chicken Wings

The most awesome recipe for the most addictive wings, courtesy of my culinary genius mum.

It all started when my dad, anxious about his upcoming stint alone when I deliver (my mum plans to come stay with us for one month once baby is born), decided that he absolutely needed an air fryer to cook meals for himself while my mum's away.

So of course they got one pronto, and mum started experimenting with it. We tried air frying potato chips (they turn soggy very fast once out the fryer), and my mum also tried frying some other stuff.

The other day she sent me a picture of the wings she made and they looked so good, I thought of re-creating them for our Christmas gathering. And they were such a hit - the first item to finish (well after the guacamole)! And the guests sang praises of them. My only regret is I didn't make more.


Gotta love her


As you can see she didn't really give precise measurements. I took note of what I used and how much, so here goes:

Recipe for 20 wings

20 chicken wings (with drummets)
A little peanut oil

Marinade:
-  1 cup light soy sauce
-  3-4 large shallots, peeled, quartered and crushed lightly
-  6 large cloves garlic, peeled and crushed lightly
- 3 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp each garlic and onion powders
- 4 tbsp soft brown sugar

Pat dry the wings. Combine the marinade ingredients in a ziploc bag large enough to fit all the wings, else divide into 2 bags. Marinate the wings overnight, refridgerated

Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Remove the wings from the marinade and let them sit and come to room temperature, about 30minutes. Pat them dry again with paper towels. You will need a roasting pan with a rack. Line the pan with foil (trust me you will want to do this as the sugar in the marinade will be your undoing), place the rack on, place the wings on the rack.

Roast for 20-30 minutes. I removed them after 20 minutes and re-arranged then to ensure each wing was sufficiently golden/dark brown and glossy.





Don't you wish???

 

No comments: