Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Venue

I almost wish I could say that AK surprised me with a proposal in Venice (we were there in 2011), but the truth is that we've been together for so long, we really mutually decided that it was time to get married. He did get down on one knee though - in a quiet, beautifully lit little cobblestone street next to a canal that reflected the moonlight, the wind making us shiver and cling even more closely to each other. I still savour that moment at times.

And man, am I going to need that memory.

If it were up to me, I'd just register our civil marriage, maybe have a church solemnisation and be done with it. But of course, as I was duly informed by a good friend, a wedding isn't really about the bride (let's not even start about the groom), it's about the relatives and the mothers of the bride and groom and the friends of the parents and all those EXPECTATIONS...well, if you're Chinese (or a gypsy) you get the idea. I'm sorry to say this but weddings are a big pain in the a**, and Chinese weddings are the worst. I cringe at the thought of being the center of attention, of waltzing down the aisle in a white gown, of showing poeple slideshows of my baby photos, of all that people being there in one place, for me. It just seems awfully self-centered and attention-seeking. Why why oh why?

I'm sorry. I really intended for this post to showcase our progress so far - we've booked our venue in KL, which nicely balances our budget and my (not so secret) intention for as minimally Chinese a a venue as possible. Since the photos on the website don't really do enough justice to the place, I've taken the liberty of lifting some photos off the web.

Source
 
Source

Dear God, please let me make it down the stairs without tripping on my face.

No comments: