Wednesday, June 23, 2010

(The Attempt at) Relaxing in Phuket

Posh food first - here we are at the Black Ginger restaurant, a gorgeous place set in the middle of a lotus pond, in the vicinity of our hotel (will get to that in a minute).



The interiors are dark and moody and glamorous in a very Asian way, with blue-lighted chandeliers, wood carvings with gold leaf, black wood panelling throughout, soft Thai music playing.


We had a spiced stewed pork - tasted like a highly spiced (star anise, cinnamon) Chinese tau yu pork, Massoman beef curry (spicy and a little on the sweet side) and a crispy noodles with a crabmeat gravy. All were good, and the prices were actually pretty reasonable - I mean, they were by no means cheap, but for the quality and amount of food, the excellent service, the ambience - definitely worth the money. Our only regret was that we did not stop by during the day to take more photographs!


Streetside seafood dinner - fried giant prawns (350 baht per kilo) in green pepper and garlic. I loved biting into the whole (fresh) green peppercorns.

Charcoal grilled prawn with an assortment of condiments - I love the one with fresh coriander, fish sauce and chilli, of course.
Patong scene - open-air bartop dancing by a selection of transvestites - very beautiful they are too. It's like Mardi-gras met a strip club met Puduraya - trannies dressed in feather boas and sequins beckoning to AK, real (I think) girls pole dancing on tables, some guy/auntie/child coming by every so often trying to sell us tickets to their "shows".


I have tosay, a walk along Patong is a must do, if that is all that you do (I mean walk). Take in the noise, the music, the sights (oh my, the sights!) We debated watching the so-called "Tiger" show, ahem, but decided againts it - me because I was afraid I'd get grossed out and launch into an angry feminist tirade, and AK because he thought it would be lame for just the two of us to go.


Shopping in Phuket's newest mall, the Jungceylon. I bought a wonderful pair of ballerina kitten heels for just 290 baht. I'm wearing them daily to work now - so light and comfy. Now I wish I bought more. By the way, notice my Tods Bauletto? :)

We stayed at the funky, tin-mined themed Indigo Pearl. I booked the cheapest room, but we got upgraded to a Pearl suite, with an open concept bathroom and a ginormous bathtub in the study :P.


Check out the tool-themed cutlery.


Infinity pool. The resort had, I think, four or five pools altogether. This one doesn't allow kids below 18 to use it. Posh.



An open-air arena in the hotel grounds. The grounds are so huge and there's so much stuff (restaurants, pools, gardens, yoga pavillion, bars, spa) spread out in the property. We got lost a couple of times trying to find our way to and from our room.


The lobby, where they sit you down on an electric daybed and give you an iced lemongrass drink while your personal hotel guide brings you everything you need to sign on. No need to stand at a counter. 5-star treatment, this is.


I'm not really bothered to put up our beach trip photos, cos the beaches and the snorkeling here, are, well, sub-par. I've told whoever bothered to listen - just go to KK and don't bother signing up for the tour, unless you like seeing dead bleached corals and the odd fish or two.

I wouldn't come here again - despite the wonderful hotel, it wasn't exactly the best experience. Vendors here are pushy and cunning - everything is up for bargaining - the fees to the snorkeling trip, the car rental, the food we ordered (other than the hotel stuff), and of course the intimidating Patong street vendors. The real saving grace to me were the two Jim Thompson stores :) - in the Carnival shopping mall and the Phuket airport, where I splurged most of Thai Baht on.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Mydma, what a wonderful blog about Phuket and the Indigo Pearl, we invite you to join our online community and share your colorful holiday photos on http://www.facebook.com/indigopearlresort.

thanks again,
The Indigo Pearl Team