Thursday, April 23, 2009

Bringing Home Home

Phew! I flew ten times this past 2 weeks, but am so happy - because - I was in Penang!! Here's what I did:-

- Ate chilli rempah crab cooked by mum, chilli clams for RM2(!!), LokLok, Char Kuey Kak, popiah - all the best!! And what made my meals even more wonderful, it's mango season now in Penang. Don't you just love seasonal treats? Makeshift mango stalls have mushroomed all over the island, and I have had my fill and more of sweet, succulent slices of sunshine to end all my meals with. Bliss bliss bliss...

- Went a little crazy at the airport over L'occitane products, like my favourite Shea Butter hand cream, a Verbena Eau de Toilette, and the new Cherry Blossom-scented hand cream for mum. Yes, it's nice to give in to my inner girliness once in a while :)


- Bought a dress from French Connection for church; it's shorter, flouncier and more colourful than what I normally wear, but what the heck, am giving it a try. After all, when I'm old and fifty with 4 double chins, tummy flobbing around, am gonna regret not showing off when I could. Erm, did I mention that the dress was purchased with the intention to wear it to church? ;p


- Roamed the streets of Little India (Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling), listening to the thumping but strangely soothing Indian beats....buying up a storm (a turquoise Punjabi Suit with gold filligree patterns, bronze platters with Lotus and Elephant motifs, rosewater for 90 cents(!!) and asoefetida for cooking).


- Finally bought a bit of art - gorgeous recycled paper patterns delicately etched with Javanese figures, and 2 little paintings of Georgetown shophouses. This is what I mean by bringing home home....bits, depictions and momentos of my island hometown to my home now, wherever it may be.


- Stocked up on Desperate Housewives, Gossip Girl and Gray's Anatomy


- Gave money to my Grandma and Dom, who will be starting his industrial training next week. Good Luck, Dom!!

If only all weekends were like this. What fun it was, despite the unrelenting island heat.

This weekend, we're off to another island, this time down south....;)

No comments: